Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2018

HOW DID I END UP IN COSTA RICA?


It was the middle of September when I learned that my 3-week October trip to China had been cancelled.  The tour operator misappropriated $11M and had filed bankruptcy.  This information would be most disconcerting to some but I believe that everything happens for a reason.  If China wasn’t going to materialize then I wanted to find another travel adventure for the month of October.  But what would fill the void?

I immediately began researching possibilities and within 24 hours had booked a 4-week traveling Spanish school.  Offering an extraordinary blend of Spanish study combined with a unique travel adventure at a great price, my selection was Ingrid Lommers and the Travelling Spanish Classrooms. Geared to those that want to travel, learn Spanish and visit different locations, Ingrid designed an unbelievable program from start to finish.   


If I was going to study Spanish it seemed only logical that I travel to a Spanish-speaking region to hear authentic accents while also being absorbed in the culture and way of life.    

My month long adventure began in Panama City, Panama 
and ended in the town of Turrialba, Costa Rica, noted for volcanoes, coffee plantations and white-water rafting trips.     

Within a 30-day period I would find myself in Tuba Senika, aka Franklin Island, located in the San Blas Islands
archipelago, Boquete,Panama and Boca’s del Torro

Leaving the United States on October 5, 2018 I flew United Airlines, via San Francisco and Houston, into San Jose, Costa Rica.  Here I would spend 1 night at an airport hotel, flying the next afternoon to Panama City, Panama.  The short one-hour flight was aboard Copa Airlines at a cost of $135. I found myself utterly enjoying the flight as their service included a hot sandwich as well as complimentary wine and beer.    

Ingrid had prearranged for transportation from the airport to Posada 1914, my first hostel.  After checking in, receiving my key and settling in to my new surroundings, I climbed the spiral stairs to the rooftop.  Here I enjoyed a refreshing glass of white wine as thoughts of ‘going back to school’ replayed over and over in my head.  It had been over 50 years since I had taken English in high school.  Hesitant and at the same time excited, I knew that my next four weeks would definitely disturb, agitate and shake up my dormant cobwebs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment